Current job openings
Director of Youth Leadership St. Louis
The Director of Youth Leadership St. Louis (YLSL) Program will work in partnership with the Vice President of Programs, Director of Development and President &CEO. The YLSL Program Director develops, implements and evaluates the youth leadership program. The Program is designed to each year select and train a class (approximately 160) high school juniors over a 9-month period.
- Modify and design curriculums based on past experiences to enhance programmatic outcomes
- Meeting facilitation: Facilitate youth workshops and trainings in an inclusive, creative and engaging manner
- Manage program logistics, event planning, and timelines with the assistance of the Program Coordinator
- School partnership program management: Recruit new students to participate in the program, interface with school partners (teachers, administration, alumni)
- Managing full-time and other part-time YLSL staff, interns, including recruitment, selection, training, supervision and evaluation
- Building and sustaining positive relationships with high school teachers, principals, superintendents and regional leaders who can serve as guest speakers, and other FOCUS partners
- Developing and managing the program budget in collaboration with the VP and President
- In collaboration with the Program Committee of the Board and with FOCUS staff perform youth program evaluations
- Serving as a resource to FOCUS staff on community issues/current affairs especially as they relate to youth and education
- Managing the recruitment and selection process for YLSL in collaboration with the Program Coordinator
- Actively participating in meetings and activities with the entire FOCUS staff
- Managing administrative responsibilities including creating and monitoring program budget, maintaining appropriate records, directing events, etc. Provide appropriate reports to President and VP as requested execution of programs
- Training school advisors on skills including facilitation, process observation, and diversity discussions
- Promoting YLSL in the community in coordination with FOCUS’s overall development and marketing efforts
- Providing input in updating and designing communication materials for YLSL Programs (flyers, brochures, website, etc.) in coordination with FOCUS’s overall development and marketing efforts
- Collaborating with the President, Director of Development to meet with and cultivate potential donors and identify additional funding opportunities
- Collaborating with the development staff to write grant & partnership proposals
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Passion for FOCUS’s mission and for working with youth
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed
- Ability to prioritize and conduct multiple tasks in fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage and complete both low-level and high-level tasks concurrently
- 5+ years of experience in education or youth development; strong preference for candidates with demonstrated success in designing youth programs
- 2+ years of supervisory/management experience
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Knowledge of community and commitment to civic engagement
- Strong background in facilitating educational experiences and group processes
- Skills in building relationships with young people and providing balance of challenges and support
- Awareness of and involvements in the region’s issues and communities
- Demonstrated effectiveness in written and oral communication
- Ability to communicate complex issues to a variety of audiences
- The ability to work nontraditional hours including weekends and evenings, including occasional overnight travel for open and closing program retreat
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office - Windows, Word, Access, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree required/Master’s degree preferred.
Starting salary for this position will be commensurate with the appointee’s background and experience. FOCUS St. Louis offers an excellent benefits package.
To make inquiries or express interest about the position, send a resume and cover letter indicating salary requirement addressed to Bryan Lawrence, Finance & Benefits Administration Manager: BryanL@focus-stl.org. All inquiries will be kept strictly confidential. No calls please.
FOCUS St. Louis is an equal opportunity employer.
CURRENT volunteer/internship opportunities
Internship - Alumni Engagement
Internship - Communications/PR